Sunday, February 21, 2010

My Aerodynamic Federation Star Ship Models





I have always like the idea of an Enterprise with wings and an aerodynamic form that could enter a planet's atmosphere and maintain true flight like a jet over the surface and land vertically with retro rockets of some kind.

Here is one I especially like....several years ago I did the sketch late one night after a very rare and very severe case of insomnia.....I still have that sketch pinned to my bulletin board as it was a classic "moment of inspiration" with the shape appearing in my mind fully formed. It is based on a U.S.S. Voyager model, heavily modified with fins and wings I cut out of modeller's plastic sheeting plus bits from other model kits. I used a subdued blue-gray matte spray paint to hide the disparate colors of the various bits.

I designed it with the concept in mind of the saucer section being able to detach from the secondary hull like the Enterprise D could, and with each half being aerodynamically correct and being capable of full atmospheric flight.
I sold this model on E-Bay for $125. Enjoy! John

No comments:

Post a Comment