Thursday, March 11, 2010

Giant Aerogami Paper Airplane

Now and then I score very large sheets of extra thick paper and enjoy making giant versions of my differing AEROGAMI paper airplane designs. This double delta design has a triangular trailing edge camber section made by snipping the fuselage, then inverting it up to form both the tail and the camber section that deflects the rear of the plane down with little drag as it flies to keep the nose up. One fun challenge is making the wings rigid and self supporting, so I use two finger nails and the edge of my glass work table to emboss ridges into the wings that had a surprising amount of rigidity. I slipped two sections of miniblid into the fuselage to make it stiff and strong while adding very little weight. A tiny stapler enabled me to close to upper portion of the trailer edge camber section into a thin, strong, functional vertical stabilizer.

AEROGAMI planes this big are difficult to ground launch.....best to toss them from a rooftop or hilltop for a nice long slow glide.

Years ago in Denver I sold hundreds of AEROGAMI planes at The Denver Botanic Gardens and other venues, and had a few of my giant ones in an art gallery in Aspen. I will be making and selling AEROGAMIs again soon here in Tampa.

Enjoy! John







No comments:

Post a Comment