Saturday, February 27, 2010

from a posting I made at a cars forum I've belonged to for years

......In the last couple of years, some remarkable studies have confirmed the CENTRAL role of vitamin D to vibrant health, but with so many people working indoors, using deodorant soaps that kill the bacteria on the skin that make the ideal form of vitamin D, and northern folks getting even less sunlight in winter, severe vitamin D deficiency in the US is rampant. I am a few months away from being 57 and I think one reason no one believes my age (zero gray hair for one) is that I have been outdoors a LOT all my adult life, and I stopped using deodorant soaps in the 70s after learning they kill the vitamin D-making bacteria. While I DO drink a few cups of Cuban coffee each morning, I've been supplementing magnesium since college when I learned that the caffeine I relied on to go to school in the day time, and work late night jobs to pay the bills was draining my magnesium and making me grumpy and causing BAD insomnia. Starting 5-6 years ago I now put a sprinkle of Epsom Salts (magnesium sulfate) on my Cuban coffee grounds before brewing. For almost 20 years I've been eating a lot of what I grow raw mainly for pleasure, but raw foods are loaded with live enzymes plus vitamins and fiber. My goal is to match my grandpa's 94....vibrant health, no decline (he ate "weird hippie foods" all his life way back then), built a house himself on Big Pine Key in his eighties, then one morning at 94 dropped dead while shaving....nice gig. I want 94 BUT to die in my sleep during one of my delicious flying dreams I have frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment