Monday, February 15, 2010

Traveller's Guide to the Planets

HYPERION

I watch little TV despite having Direct TV satellite. But last night, as I enjoyed a yummy home made mixed seafood panang curry over rice, I channel surfed and found two wonderful shows on NatGeo. The first was a very well done hour special about how the moon could be colonized, mined, etc.

But the second blew me away....'Traveller's Guide to the Solar System", a three part/three night series that began with exploring Saturn, with astonishing photos of Saturn and its bizarre moons ( see pic of the ice encrusted Hyperion!!). The next hour show was an equally high quality visit to Jupiter and its moons that addressed future and possible future missions there, including one to drill through Europa's ice and send robotic cameras to explore what seem to be room temperature 60 mile deep salty oceans in hopes of spotting life forms. Again, the photos were breathtaking.
Tonight's installment begins at 9 and will go to Mars...I WILL be watching! I am guessing that last night's shows will be rerun first as the Moon one repeated just as I hit the sack last night. I hope you can watch/record these excellent shows if topics like this interest you anywhere as much as they do me.

John

2 comments:

  1. I saw the moon one. That was pretty cool. I'll have to watch the other show on Mars if I get a chance.

    ReplyDelete