Sunday, September 26, 2010

First Flight of Our Recycling Based Remote Controlled Airplane

After high winds thwarting last week's attempted first innaugural flight of the foam glider that Dino and I have turned into a radio-controlled plane (he has the know how and did the work, I was assistant and added the winglets) we yesterday had a spectacular first flight. The tall soft grass allowed Dino a few hand launches to test balance, etc. , plus allowed for a nice gentle landing. Future shoots though I need to remember to stand closer to him so that his comments can be readily heard. After the flight we went to a hobby shop in Brandon and I bought two differing foam gliders, plus two step spray adhesive for glueing foam, and will set the loose parts out on my work table as I am an "out of sight, out of mind" man. Just passing them in my office will give me ideas on possible configurations.....I am already heavily leaning to a design with the main wings set back, with canards by the nose, with the propellor in back like many of Dick Rutan's designs. When something promising evolves I will send pics to Dino for his evaluation and suggestions since he has 31 years of RC experience and I am a total newbie as an "RC geek". Enjoy! John

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7AhoqFr3IQ

No comments:

Post a Comment