Thursday, November 4, 2010

My Bike Ride for Cardio Fitness, Bird Watching, Weight Loss and Mood Enhancement

My gardening friend Mary Jo today let me know that my ride up Bayshore from Gandy, around Davis Island (the long, beach hugging route) and back is 22 miles. Avena feels that from my house to Gandy and Bayshore is maybe 1/2 mile. Cool to see something new in my life that I so enjoy three times weekly quantified into miles. My resting heart rate has already lowered, and I am getting closer all the time to having visible abs after losing 12 lbs. of gnarly-looking body fat this last year of making some healthier decisions.

One treasured benefit is my getting so much more familiar with the Tampa Bay I love....what a trip to see dolphins chasing schools of mullets churning the water's surface with their sheer numbers, or seabirds wading, diving or paddling. Plus I am much more keenly aware of our often stunning sunsets.

Another is ogling wonderfully built lean men running and biking and cycling up and down Bayshore on that same wonderful 3.8 mile sidewalk hugging the bay.....why did I not do this 7 years ago when two knee injuries forced me to stop my 5:30 AM jog up Bayshore to Howard Avenue and back? Seeing those guys' sculpted torsos is a huge inspiration for me to continue my trend of more muscle and less fat. Plus I love to "window shop".

John

No comments:

Post a Comment