Saturday, December 26, 2009

Appalachian Spring concert

Aaron Copland's 'Appalachian Spring' some years back eclipsed Ralph Vaughan Williams' "Serenade to Music" as my favorite symphony. Every time I play it I am brought to tears, especially by the sweeping crescendos, and I almost bawled when I saw it live this year at the Tampa Orchestra. I've noticed that there are so many ways of playing it, depending I guess on the mindset of the conductor....the link takes you to a three piece YouTube video of a performance where the piano was given prominence I'd not heard before. Part One will play first....click the lower of the two boxes for Part Two, then play Part Three. I hope your sound system has a powered subwoofer like mine so that you can feel the full majesty of this stellar composition and performance. I hope it makes you cry with joy too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frdSsypltIc

No comments:

Post a Comment