Saturday, December 26, 2009

Welcome to Starnesland






I've been blessed since early childhood with an active mind, and with age and experience have learned to make it a habit to generally feel happy and hopeful vs. pessimistic and depressed as in my teens and early twenties. As a result, I have many interests and avocations and points of inquiry that that do much to make life feel like a remarkable gift, not a burden.

The astonishing Hubble Telescope makes clear that not only do we live our daily lives at work, with traffic, people dealings, cleaning house and countless "mundane" tasks in the outer edge of the spiral Milky Way Galaxy, it is just one of MANY MANY billions of other galaxies. For me, knowing how incredibly tiny I am in all of that is not scary but liberating and makes me feel very privileged to have been born. Look at the wonder we exist in the midst of!

For years my highschool friend Michael Valdez has advised me to share my way of life on line in someway, even a video cam recording the evolution of my trippy Gay Trailer Trash on Acid livingroom project, now almost a decade old. My Denver friend Michael Mowry was here recently and gave me a true life epiphany by telling me about Blogspot...and this Blog is my second....I will soon start a third one about Old Roses and some modern roses. I am sure I do not have enough room in my mind for a fourth blog, plus I am always behind on weeding and housework. Other folks want me to write e-books, some feel I could sell more of my altered Star Trek paintings with a website, and some say they feel that some folks might find my approach to, and experience of, life, maybe interesting or useful. I just know I am having a blast with this and am thankful to both Michael's for their long term encouragement.

That photo that the European Mars Express Orbiter took of that ice glacier miles across within that huge crater makes clear that Mars is NO where near dry as we humans have thought. I have toyed since I was ten with fantasies of terraforming Mars into a second garden planet, and now have many ideas about making that a reality. I wish I could live at least another 200 years and help to terraform Mars!

I feel that I have in essence been "tripping" since 1998 when I was blessed to buy my "Old Man House" here in south Tampa by borrowing the equity in my 829 square foot house on Willow Street in Denver. Plus in my forties I was advised by a number of older folks to RELISH my then upcoming fifties, like author/rosarian Bill Grant, and recently passed away rosarian legend Miriam Wilkins who said they'd LOVE to be in their fifties again. I've long heard that as we get older we feel stronger and more free to be who we really are, and at 56 I agree.

It is going to be a blast creating and maintaining this blog, and I hope others find Starnesland a cool place to check out now and then.

John Starnes

No comments:

Post a Comment