Saturday, June 5, 2010

The remarkable dream sequence in 'Twin Peaks'.

I went from never watching 'Twin Peaks' way back then as America was in full blown fever over the show, to being captivated and obsessed with it after seeing this episode and sequence, as any of of my friends from then (1991?) will attest to. After a therapy breakthrough in 1994 I realized that my obsession with the show was due in largely to identifying with Laura Palmer as an abused child. And while the show has ever since that breakthrough has been far too dark for me to watch, I still now and then can enjoy this remarkably creative dream sequence. David Lynch had the actors learn to say each WORD and SENTENCE backwards, so that when the film itself was played backwards for the broadcast version, there was a peculiar disturbing oddness to their voices and movements. Notice how Agent Cooper is the sole person in the dream sequence to speak and move normally. John

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05xm2eN-1VA&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment