Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Transparent Bird Bath Sculpture from scavenged materials











When I was an art major in the mid 70's, perhaps my biggest hero was Marcel Duchamp, for many reasons, but especially his use of found objects. Some years ago, I scrounged two VERY heavy panes of thick glass that I could barely get into my minivan. I buried their lower ends in the kitchen garden side by side, then set atop them a plexiglass display tray I had previously dumpster dived. It is about six feet tall, and I love how it shimmers in the bright Florida sunshine, and birds visiting it show up very readily. It has been through several hurricanes...as one approaches I simply take off the water tray. I love the minimalism of this piece, and its spirit reminds me of perhaps my favorite Duchamp sculpture, 'The Large Glass', which I saw years ago at the Whitney Museum in New York and that to this day, gives me goosebumps when I see photos of it and remember the profound impact it had on me in college.
enjoy, John

2 comments:

  1. Wow! It is really beautiful, I would like it in my yard. What a great idea. It has art value and is recycled material. It is good you are 'opening' our eyes to useful and fun alternatives to someone elses 'junk'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Margie. I will always be thankful to my sculpture professor Jerry Meatyard for having so opened my eyes to the beauty and possibilities all around us, and for turning me on to the sheer genius of Marcel Duchamp.

    ReplyDelete